2019 Canada’s Favourite Crossing Guard Contest
Three exceptional school crossing guards who go above and beyond the call of duty have been chosen as winners of the 2019 Canada’s Favourite Crossing Guard Contest. The recipients, who are being recognized for their extraordinary contributions to their communities, will receive their awards over the next few weeks.
Congratulations to our 2019 winners
BRIAN SMITH, FREDERICTON, NB: A crossing guard at one of the city’s busiest intersections, he makes sure Connaught Street School students get to classes safely year round, including winter when he shovels snow and spreads salt on icy sidewalks if city crews haven’t yet reached his corner. He is grill master at the school’s year-end Family Fun Day and is active in community efforts to promote organ and tissue donation.
ELIZABETH SAVARY, TORONTO, ON: A crossing guard for 13 years at Maurice Cody Public School, she keeps a supply of coins to loan those who forget money for Freezie Friday and has a stash of winter hats, mitts and scarves for those who needs to dress more warmly for the walk home. She always has treats for the neighbourhood dogs.
LINDA DAUM, STRATFORD, ON: For extra safety, she carries a stop sign that lights up and flashes to guide her students at Shakespeare Public School. She greets everyone with a huge smile and gives out treats on special occasions, including a cooler with ice-cold treats on the last day of school.
For more details, see our news release.
Thanks to our 2019 judging panel
- Stephen Anderson, Senior Communications Specialist, FedEx Express Canada
- Kate Berry, Program Director, Ontario Active School Travel at Green Communities Canada
- Caroline Fernandez, Lifestyle Blogger and Bestselling Kidlit Author
- Pina Starnino, VP Operations, FedEx Express Canada
- Patty Sullivan, Award Winning Television Personality
- Kelley Teahen, Vice President Communications & Marketing, Parachute