Medical Director: Dr. Karen Smith
Phone Number: 613-634-2568
Coordinator: Allan Herrington
ThinkFirst Kingston (est. 1992) is one of 16 chapters across Canada that promotes messages about brain and spinal cord health. We spread our message through in-class presentations, sports and summer camp visits, and by participating in local events such as Junior A Hockey games, Perch Derby, Summer Safety Days, and Rolling on the Runway. Importantly, we provide helmets to area children and youth in need through the Give-A-Kid-A-Helmet program.
- Comprehensive Education Program: presentations to elementary schools including Brain Days (Grade 4, 5, 6) and Summer Safety Days (Grade 7 & 8), youth summer camps, daycare facilities, and hockey schools. Presentations included jell-o brain molds, Atlas egg helmets, glow wrist bands, and ThinkFirst educational CD’s.
- Give a Kid a Helmet Program – ThinkFirst Kingston fundraises to purchase helmets for kids in need. Bike helmets are distributed at events such as the Kingston Get Active Fair, and hockey helmets are distributed to elementary schools for use as “loaner” helmets.
- Helmets Work Program
- Brain Day
- Community Events Demonstrations (vary from year to year)
- Concussion information distributed to Secondary Schools and Recreation Facilities
- Secondary School teacher in servicing regarding concussion awareness
- Bergeron/Clifford Personal Injury Lawyers
- Canadian Tire (Cataraqui Store) *provides our helmets at discount pricing
- Swanson and Associates team Volleyball Tournament
- Individual donors
- Canada Summer Jobs
- Golf Tournament
- Partners: Rehab Dept. Providence Care; Pro Kids Positive Recreational Programs; KFLA Public Health; Safe Communities; and Canadian Forces Base Kingston
- Community Foundation of Greater Kingston