Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport
The Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport has been developed to ensure that athletes with a suspected concussion receive timely and appropriate care, and proper management to allow them to return to their sport.
Developed by Parachute and its Expert Advisory Concussion Subcommittee, the Guideline is based on a review of the current scientific evidence and expert consensus on best practices for the evaluation and management of Canadian athletes who sustain a concussion during a sport activity.
This Guideline addresses 7 key areas:
- Pre-season education
- Head injury recognition
- Onsite medical assessment
- Medical assessment
- Concussion management
- Multidisciplinary concussion care
- Return to sport
Funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada, this Guideline is an important part of the Parachute-led Concussion Protocol Harmonization Project and creates the foundation for a more consistent approach to concussion across the country.
Who should use this Guideline?
This Guideline is intended for use by all stakeholders who interact with athletes inside and outside the context of school and non-school based organized sports activity, including athletes, parents, coaches, officials, teachers, trainers, and licensed healthcare professionals.
Download the Guideline
The Guideline is free to download and use. Below are links to view or download the Guideline as a whole or in sections. There are also links to the individual documents and tools.
- Overview (including Key Term Definitions)
- Guideline Recommendations
- Canadian Sport Concussion Pathway
- Guideline Development Process
- Appendix: Documents and Tools
Documents and Tools
- Pre-Season Concussion Education Sheet
- Medical Assessment Letter
- Medical Clearance Letter
- Concussion Recognition Tool 5 (CRT5)
- Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 5 (SCAT5)
- Child Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 5 (Child SCAT 5)
Apply the Guideline: Develop Your Protocol
These resources are free to download and use.
- Canadian Harmonized Sport Concussion Protocol Template
- Canadian Harmonized Sport Concussion Protocol Checklist
- Sport-Specific Return-to-Sport Strategy Adaptation Tool
Other Concussion Resources
- International Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport
- Parachute - Concussion
- Parachute - Resources Page
- Parachute - Statement on Concussion Baseline Testing in Canada