Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon Monoxide often dubbed the ‘Silent Killer’ is an odourless, colourless gas that can be poisonous even in small amounts. Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to that of a flu, just without the fever. Exposure to CO can cause nausea, headache, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, and possibly death. Children, the elderly, pregnant women and pets can be especially vulnerable.

According to TSSA, over 65% of injuries and deaths related to Carbon Monoxide poisoning occur within the home. Many Ontario homes have on average 4-6 fuel burning appliances that are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Fuel-burning appliances such as furnace, water heater, boiler, dryer, fireplace, stove, car, bbq, portable generator, space heaters all emit Carbon Monoxide. Poor installation or maintenance of these appliances, the use of appliances not designed for indoor use, damaged or blocked venting, or inadequate airflow can cause dangerous levels of CO to build up inside your home, garage, cottage – virtually any enclosed space under certain conditions. The good news is that injuries and deaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be averted with some simple precautionary measures.


CO Safety Education by TSSA


Carbon Monoxide Toolkit

Geared towards Parents,  Public Health Educators and Injury prevention practitioners, the Carbon Monoxide Safety Toolkit below contains useful information Carbon Monoxide safety around the home. Download these resources today, and learn how to keep your home free from Carbon Monoxide! 


House Diagram


Inspection Tip Sheet


Campground Safety Brochure


Furnace Sticker








Safety Reminder Stickers


Child Activty Sheet