Parachute - Preventing Injuries. Saving Lives.
A NATIONAL, CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO PREVENTING INJURIES AND SAVING LIVES.
Gas fireplaces

Gas fireplaces

Keep your child away from gas fireplaces

The glass barrier on your gas fireplace can heat up to over 200 C (400 F) in about six minutes during use. It takes an average of 45 minutes for the fireplace to cool to a safe temperature after the fire is switched off.

Place a barrier around your gas fireplace

Install safety gates around the gas fireplace or at doorways to the room that has the fireplace. Young children, under five years of age, and especially those under two years, are most at risk. When young children begin walking, they often fall. Hands and fingers are burned on the glass and metal parts of the door as young children raise their arms to stop their fall. Also, young children are attracted to the flames and want to touch them.

Supervise your child

Never leave a young child alone near a gas fireplace; they can be burned before, during and after use of the fireplace.

Teach children about the dangers of fire, and supervise Teach your child the dangers of fire but teaching alone will not prevent your child from an injury. Young children, especially toddlers, may know a safety rule but will not necessarily follow it.

Resources

safeathome.ca (created by Kidde Canada) can help families and homeowners stay safe by providing tips and information about the dangers of fire and carbon monoxide.